Monday, July 23, 2007

Once upon a time there was a man struggling to find his place in this world. He wandered aimlessly throughout the streets. He looked into the faces of the many people who passed him by, never even acknowledging his existence.

One day he sat down on an old stump in the middle of town and thought to himself, "Why do they never look at me. I see them, but they don't seem to notice me. Why not? Am I invisible?"

That evening he knelt down outside, near the old stump where he often sat, and prayed, "God do you see me here? Am I visible to you? Do I even matter to you?"

As he knelt there in the still of the night, darkness all around, he began to feel a small breeze. The breeze seemed to speak to the aching in his heart. He prayed, "God, are you trying to tell me something? I know the wind blows even though no one really sees it. Are you telling me that you see me even if no one else does?" "Yes, my child. I created you. I knit you together in your mother's womb. You are here for a purpose. Stop! Don't just walk on by those people, look into their eyes. Say hello. Ask them how they are and wait for a response. Listen. If they respond with even just a simple hello, or look up, take the time to let them know that you see them."

The man got up off his knees and looked up. He saw the stars. They shone so brightly. Why had he never really noticed that before, he thought. He made himself comfortable there on the ground beside that old stump. He would wait patiently for morning and would begin the very next morning to fulfill his purpose. He had heard God speak. Life was no longer going to be about himself. He never again wondered if people were noticing him...it didn't matter. He wasn't looking for their approval, he already had all the approval he needed. He only wanted other people to know what he knew - that God saw them and loved them.

God led me to just type. To not really think about what I just read, but to write, as I finished studying Romans 12 tonight. Several of the verses spoke to my heart so I've jotted specific ones down. It may only make sense to me. I want to make an impact on this world for Jesus. I want people to know God's love, and, even though I fail miserably, I want to be a vessel that God can use. I don't want my life to be about me. I want it to be about Him because He is who people need to see. If I take time for others, He will be glorified. If I focus on other's needs, not my own, He will be glorified. If I love others as He has loved me, He will be glorified. If "I" get out of the way, they will see Him.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God–this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

(Romans 12:1-3; 9-12; 21)



No comments: