Friday, February 22, 2008

A glimpse into the heart of a 12 year old

Today one of the twins (Dillon) wrote a poem and he just read it to us. He wanted me to read it out loud, but I couldn't make it through the 2nd stanza. He finally read it to us...and then I really cried!

Hard Goodbyes

Just one more hour
Just one more minute
Just one more second
Would be nice

But no, we must go!
I sit with aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins
I fight back the tears
But soon they'll flow

I've stayed with them all summer
How can I leave?
What will life be like there...
This place I've never known?

We're moving to this place called ______
A place I would come to know and love
I'd make friends
I'd have fun

But the past I can't let go of
For my uncle even cried
I must though 'cause now we've left
That place I once called home


The twins still talk about that day - the day they saw their uncle (my oldest brother) cry. I don't think they will ever forget it either. It made quite an impact on their lives as those tears showed them how special they were to him. Wonder if he'll cry when he reads this...

No comments: