Sunday, October 5, 2008

Life IS good.

There are times I feel as though the world around me is spinning just a little too quickly. My oldest son just recently turned 21, our daughter is preparing to get married in December, our twins are about to turn 13, and, well, quite frankly, sometimes that's just a little too much for a mom to handle all in one year.

Good thing I'm not handling it all on my own!

This morning (I wrote this on Sunday...and am publishing it on Tuesday) in chapel the sermon was about rest for the weary and, although I don't feel weary right now, I loved the reminder of whose yolk I should be carrying.

Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus speaking -

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Probably the heaviest load I carry sometimes, at this point in my life is 1) the thought of my husband deploying, and 2) there are days when I just don't want to let go of my kids. I had one of those moments last week where I stood in the doorway of my daughter's room sobbing like a baby. I love that they are maturing, but there are just those times when I want my kids to be little again so I can hold them in my lap and snuggle them! There are days when I don't want to give my daughter away, I don't want my oldest son to be living on the other side of the world (or so it seems!), I don't want my last two babies to be turning teenagers... I just DON'T. :)

Then there are days when I look around me and see that my children are turning out to be fine young adults, and we are about to enter into a new phase of life, and I'm excited about that too. How wild at times to think about the new phase of being in-laws and letting go even more. About this time last year we were experiencing all that comes with great change as we left our oldest two in Texas. Later God brought our daughter to us here, but we still had to begin a new life with two of our children far from us.

The burden could have been very heavy, but quickly we saw that the Lord was taking care of us all, and working in each of our lives to bring us to the place He wanted us to be. He's still at work. He's still growing us and teaching us all to lean on Him. From time to time though, I want to pick up my own yoke, throw it on my back, and try to make things turn out the way I want them. Today was a good reminder for me that HIS yoke is light, and to trust HIM in ALL things.

God IS in control and Life IS good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting older and going through all these things with our children helps us understand how our parents felt when we turned teens, or married, or moved away, doesn't it??

Love, A parent who can reflect in both directions, your Mom!

Journey Ministry said...

WOW! your words mirror exactly how my heart feels. Being the mom of 12 and having 6 home and 6 gone has been a difficult transition. Thank you for your precious reminder of God's grace in our lives.