Friday, January 28, 2011

Deployments

I'm thinking it's time I start blogging a little about what the deployment was like since I didn't do too much of that while my husband was away. I'm going to try to come up with ideas on what I'd like to write about, but if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask away, and I'll try to answer you as best I can. Maybe that will be the easiest way to start. Maybe I'll start with his departure day...

The moment he drove away from the battalion area was horrible. I've never, ever cried so hard in my entire life. I could barely breathe. It felt like someone was literally riping my heart out, and I wondered how I would be able to handle the next 12 months of my life.

Getting to stay for the ceremony and hear my husband pray over the Soldiers was wonderful, but when they walked towards the bus I walked to where I thought he was going so I could give him one last hug. Unfortunately, the (loud and way-too-hyper-for-the-occasion) bus driver led him another direction. He got on the 2nd bus at the very back and not being able to touch him one last time seemed to take its toll on me. I think I would have been better off had I got that one last hug. Instead, we just looked at each other through the window at the back of the bus and cried.

Looking back I don't know what I could have done differently to make that day easier...I don't think there is anything actually. It is what it is - HARD! If you're nearing a deployment with your spouse, my first piece of advice is make every moment count before they leave. Hold on to each other tight and don't fret the small stuff. I won't tell you to not count down the days because you will do it anyway. We tried, and there's just no way not to count down.

As I end this post, I'd like to remind everyone to continue to pray for those in harm's way and the families they leave behind, and the families who lost their loved one. Thanks!

4 comments:

Kay said...

i don't know of any way to make that day easier, it just isn't. we left hubby as they loaded onto the bus, but i knew they were going to sit on the runway till the middle of the night. it took a lot of resolve no to go sit at the kids' part across from the runway just to watch them mill around the plane. but i went home, sang hymns with the kids, got them to bed, and stayed up all night...alone. it was just miserable.

i do projects whenever he is away, it helps me focus and get through the lonely times. i also get in all the girly movies i care to watch in the evenings to ignore the empty bed.

Rosie said...

My husband is a chaplain candidate...we were separated during Chbolc for 3 months, and I thought THAT was hard! How did the boys do?

Laura said...

Rosie - the boys did fine. It's always toughest when it messes with the summer, and he left in the middle and came home in the middle of the next one, but we had a great vacation when he returned and that gave us all something to look forward to. They're older so I think that made it easier as well.

Nancy said...

Thank you for sharing all of this. My husband is just considering enlisting as a military chaplain. I googled "military chaplain wives" to get some perspective and found your blog. You are giving me plenty of real life perspective. I'm not sure if I have the stamina... How do you not let fear take over every day? I know nothing of military life...

Thank you (and your husband of course) for your sacrifices.