Friday, August 24, 2007

We're here!!!

It was a LONG drive, but worth every single minute of it! We are all thrilled to be together again. We could hardly wait!! One day longer might have been more than the two of us could bear, I think! Every one of us was smiling from ear to ear as my husband opened the door. I didn't really want to share him with the boys, but they had been apart from him much longer than I had...so I let them in for a quick hug!

The twins were watching a funny movie in the backseat with their headphones on and all I could hear was the laughter. It caused me to repeatedly look in the rear view mirror at their beautiful smiles. It was the highlight of my time in the car...next to getting out of it upon our arrival (ha!). I finally got out my camera and took a blind shot.

It's been so much fun watching the boys take it all in. After spending some time showing them around the Army Post, we came back to the apartment to unload the car and get ready for bed (really early) when they noticed the playground and basketball court outside our bedroom window. I smiled as I watched them walk over, put their basketballs on the ground and jump on the swings. I wondered what they were talking about. I later observed another little boy walk over to play, who probably spotted them from his apartment window, and wondered if they would be friends by the end of the week. I never worry about whether or not they will have a lot of friends because I know they are best friends!

It takes me back to a time when my husband and I sat on a park bench on base in Germany, just a day or so after we found out we were going to have another child, watching our daughter play by herself because her older brother was with a friend. We discussed what it might be like for this new baby to grow up so much younger than his/her brother and sister. Little did we know God had already taken care of that! A few weeks later we found out I was carrying two babies and they would have each other. Today it comes full circle and I thank the Lord for giving our boys each other. I'm so glad they are best friends and love each other so much.

My husband is now resting peacefully next to me and I'm listening to the neighbors moving around upstairs. I guess he's used to it by now. I don't really mind...it's a reminder that we are all in this together! I want to be more sensitive to others and as I write this I'm thinking about that. My kids are much older now and it's easy to get them in bed, but I pray I will be sensitive to others who don't have that same luxury.

It is good to be here, and I'm not just talking about the location.

No comments: