Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm not sure where to start...

The twins and I went exploring this morning and found it to be A HUGE post (just as we suspected from the short time we were there yesterday) with a lot going on. We found the officer's housing area in which we will live and we can't wait to move in. They won't start school until we know which exact area we will live in, but we're hoping we will find that out tomorrow when my husband goes to the housing office. Then again, the twins aren't too worried about it since they're getting to be out of school a little longer!

They brought up the idea of homeschooling while we were traveling here. The funny thing is - I didn't dismiss it. And, more than that - the idea came to my mind several months ago and I didn't dismiss it then. I've actually been praying about it. I've never really been a big fan of the idea for our children so for the thought to come to my mind I felt I better pray about it and not just dismiss it. If it meant that we could be with my husband more, or if things were really bad for them at school, I would do it in a heartbeat. On the other hand, I want them out in the world making an impact and don't want to interfere if God desires that for their lives. I just want to be open to whatever the Lord wants for us as a family.

I'm sitting by the pool while the boys swim. It's so nice and relaxing! Last night we went to swim and when we got back to the room the twins said to my husband, "Mom made a friend!" (It's funny what they notice...and meaningful when it's something like that because I could have said the same thing about them and this lady's little girl. In a matter of minutes they were playing with her and the mother noticed that and was so happy!) I considered it a divine appointment. I later told my husband that him being a chaplain brings up spiritual conversations very quickly it seems.
I asked her if they were in the military and immediately she moved over next to me and asked the same of me. When I told her my husband was a chaplain she wanted to know much more and shared her background with me. I won't really go into the whole conversation, but I shared my faith with her and before she left she asked, "Will I see you back here tomorrow night?" Later on in the evening, my husband and I came back to the pool so he could sit in the hot tub and, again, I would say that was a divine appointment. The moment my husband said he was a chaplain the man opened up and talked to him about his son and spiritual matters. Come to find out, he just visited the chapel on post last Sunday.
Before we went to sleep we prayed and thanked the Lord for those moments that confirmed we are here for a reason. We also shared more of our thoughts from the day's drive here...

We've driven many, many miles and seen some of God's amazing creation over the last 10 days, but it was at about this point in the trip when I realized how truly far away from our older children we were and began to cry. The emotions welled up so strongly that I finally couldn't hold back the tears any longer. They were tears of joy - because over and over again we've seen God's hand in all of this - and, yet, also tears of sadness - because our other children aren't alongside us to see and experience this with us. I know it's all a part of "growing up" but it's sure not easy! And I thought high school was tough...

Here's a few more pictures of the drive here...

Watch what happens here...Keep your eyes on the sky...

At this point in the drive my husband asked if we were ready for the next six months. It looked like a forest fire from far away (like in the first picture), but the closer we got the more we realized it wasn't. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen!

About 15 minutes later I was praising God for the sunshine and clear skies as we neared the post! I realize it may look more like this, and that's OK...I won't have to worry about the sun being in my eyes too much or getting a really bad sunburn...I'm looking at this cup as half full rather than half empty! :) Honestly, it is a beautiful place to live and a beautiful place in my life right now.

No comments: