Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

This year was unlike any other Thanksgiving we've ever had. It wasn't spent with extended family, or hunting for my husband; it was spent with Soldiers from my husband's battalion and thinking about our son being in training and away from us. Our daughter and the twins talked a lot about how different it was from our typical Thanksgiving and were very happy we were able to be a part of this for the Soldiers. Many of them were about the age of our son so it did my heart good to talk to them and encourage them. While my husband was busy serving the Soldiers, I walked around to the different tables and talked to them. I was hoping and praying someone was doing the same for my son. It almost made me cry when one of the young Soldiers came over to me before leaving and wished me a happy Thanksgiving again.

Later in the day we heard from our son's girlfriend that he was doing really well and had been ministered to in a similar way for his Thanksgiving away from home. She said he sounded so good...happy and relaxed and doing much better than last week! Praise God!!! He had also received our letters before Thanksgiving and that in itself was an answer to prayer. He got off with her to try to call us, but since we didn't receive the call we figured he wasn't able to make two calls as he had hoped. Either way, it was good to hear he was doing well!

After spending time with the Soldiers we went to the ocean and walked around. It was a beautiful, bright day. I'm thankful for so many things in my life...my husband, my children, my family, my friends, the time we had to spend with the Soldiers, for those who ministered to our son while he's away from us and, most of all, for the hope I have in my Savior, Jesus Christ, and the salvation He brings to all who will receive Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!