Monday, November 19, 2007

My husband came in from the field on Friday and slept about 20 hours straight. He did wake up some in those 20 hours, but he doesn't even remember things like going back and forth from the living room to our room and back, eating dinner or talking with me. I felt so bad for him. One minute he would be awake and I'd look over a few minutes later and he'd be fast asleep again. He even came in the living room for dinner and wondered how he got there. I must have held him for four hours straight when he first fell asleep after arriving home and taking a long hot shower. He laid down on the couch and put his head on my lap and I just sat there. It's weird what we take for granted with our spouses. I can remember times when I would think I was just too busy to sit down for 30 minutes while he was sleeping, but something as simple as that made me feel blessed. I found myself watching him sleep as if we were newlyweds. I sat there wishing he never had to be gone again, yet I know he will. I try not to think about that too much. It's just the way it is in the military. I'm thankful for every moment I have with him and I pray I never take it for granted.

The last few days I've been a little weepy. Today was better, but yesterday everything seemed to make me cry. My son is on my mind A LOT. I pray for him all throughout the day and at night when I wake up. He got like 3 minutes to make a call early Sunday morning and called his girlfriend, who in turn called us (after she composed herself). I know it's not easy so I was sort of relieved that I couldn't hear his voice. He told her the first few days were really tough but he's OK.

My husband and I read through some of his old letters when he was in Basic Training 15 years ago. There's a lot you forget! I think the letters made us both worry a little more for him. We know what they go through, but I guess it's harder to think about when it's your child. I find myself feeling anxious sometimes and have to ask the Lord to help me not to feel that way. It's not like I can do anything about what's going on with him anyway. I know the Lord is with him and that brings comfort. I sent our first letters to him this morning. I really hope he gets them in time for Thanksgiving. I also hope he gets a wonderful host family who gives him plenty of time to call home!

I've also been busy preparing for our daughter to come tomorrow. We're so excited about that! One of the twins yelled out, "29 more hours until we see you" over the phone with her today. I wish she was staying for good, but that will have to wait until January. For now, I'll gladly take the five days I've been given!

On Thanksgiving day my husband will be serving the Soldiers at lunch and then we'll have our family time later in the afternoon. We plan to at least go with him and hopefully we can also minister to the Soldiers in some way. The Thanksgiving holiday also allows us to have a four day weekend with my husband so I'm VERY, VERY thankful for that. We're looking forward to not only seeing the snow in the mountains, but skiing/snowboarding this time!!

No comments: