Friday, April 11, 2008

From noise to beautiful music

Tonight my kids and my daughter's boyfriend are sitting here in the living room with me tuning their guitars. One of the twins has taken on playing guitar in band and his sister is teaching him and the other twin how to play (since they aren't really teaching much in band). While trying not to be driven crazy by all the noise, I was reading all the other comments on a friend's recent post on her blog about noises she is thankful for.
I'm thankful for the "noise" taking place here in my home right now, mainly because it's my kids sitting here with me tonight while their dad's in the field, but also because of the beautiful sound that comes from a tuned guitar. It's amazing to me how the guitar that is fully tuned is making beautiful music while the other two sound so bad. It's not very difficult to conclude that tuning is important!

After my daughter got her guitar tuned, she started to sing and make beautiful music with it. I commented to my friend that I was listening to the noise of two guitars being tuned and one actually making beautiful music, and how I wished the tuning would end so we could get on with the beautiful sound of a tuned guitar.

Do you ever feel that way about your life?...For instance, a little over a month ago I felt like I was in the tuning process. I was wondering about my purpose (or role) here and a lot of "noise" was taking place in my head. It took a while for the Lord to be heard. I had to tune out the enemy and myself to actually hear the beautiful music. Since then I've found my life to be a lot more like a tuned guitar rather than one that isn't. I hear a lot of beautiful music playing, instead of noise. I have direction. Life is peaceful and beautiful. I'm sure times of tuning will come again, but I'm grateful that, for now, I'm able to enjoy the music.

My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.
Psalm 57:7

1 comment:

LAURIE said...

Great post Laura! I just knew when you sent me that message about the "noise" of the tuning of the guitars, that a future post would come from it! ha ha. Isn't it amazing the things God speaks to us thru, even guitars!

Have a blessed weekend. How is hubby feeling?

-love Laurie