Saturday, April 12, 2008

Fasting from Complaining

Phillippians 2:14 says, "Do everything without complaining or arguing..."

A few weeks ago my daughter was telling me about something she read in her devotional book that asked you to consider fasting from complaining. We laughed about it, not really taking it seriously, but several times over the last two weeks I've pondered that idea. Today, God lead me to the verse above and I have concluded that it would honor God if I took that idea seriously. There was a time in my life where I found much to complain about. Why? Because I was just one to be more negative than positive. The type that looked at a glass half empty instead of half full. By the grace of God, over time I've become less of a complainer, but I'm still prone to fall back into that pit.

The toughest week for me every month is the week right before payday. I caught myself doing it again last night...complaining! Wishing we had more money in the bank so I could take the kids out to dinner. Even day-dreaming about what it would be like to be rich, to not have to wait for payday. To have more money than I know what to do with. To be able to purchase things I put off buying that would be nice to have but aren't necessary.

Stop the day dreaming...it only leads to destruction! It goes on to say in verse 15, "so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe..."

I ended up packing up a backpack of food we had here at home, taking the kids to the lake here on post, grilling burgers and throwing around the football, and enjoying every minute of it. Something I could afford and something that taught me a lesson. Life is what we make it. Instead of sitting around grumbling about what we think we don't have, look at what we do! I want to honor God even in my thoughts. If I'm busy complaining it takes the place of praising...

So, today I'm beginning this fast. It's the perfect time to start it...the week I'm more apt to complain! I'm going to focus on praising God and thanking Him for all His many blessings rather than complaining. I want to shine like the stars in the universe so that God is glorified! Anyone else out there struggle with complaining and want to join me?

3 comments:

Monica said...

What a great idea!! I'll keep you in prayer this week.

cc said...

What a great note, a good reminder to us all. I love that you didn't dwell on the negative and that you still went "out" to eat!

Great reminder:)

CC

LAURIE said...

Laura,
I think we all find ourselves having a complaining spirit at times,this weeks devotion on my blog I take a look at being content. Apostle Paul told the Philippi's that contentment is learned, and that we can learn to be content in all things....I think your example of going to the beach for hamburgers instead of going out for a steak is a wonderful example of exactly what Paul is saying:be content no matter what my circumstances are!

You are leading the way! Way to go girl! - Love Laurie