Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

This time last year we were up in the stands looking out at thousands of soldiers at Fort Jackson. My husband was half-way through CH-BOLC and we were having a wonderful time together with our new friends. It's hard to believe it's already been a year.

This year I'm thousands of miles away from my husband. He's home alone, and I'm here in Texas with my children and some of my family. I hate that I can't be with him and hate that he can't be enjoying this 4th of July with us. It's not the same without him. We talked several times on the phone. I found myself just wanting to hear his voice for a little while, and then I would be fine.

Our son had to stay on base today, even though they were given four days off. We were all a little aggravated (well, more like very aggravated)! How sad when those who defend our freedom can't even celebrate it with family that they don't get to see very often! He told them we were here to see him and no one cared. Pitiful! He will be here tomorrow so I'm grateful for that. I know there are many, many other men and women sacrificing so much more today so I am keeping our situation in perspective.

Speaking of those men and women serving our country and in harm's way, or those who've fought in a war, I sure hope people are thinking of them, praying for them and letting them know how much they are appreciated!!! It makes me sad to know there are people who never give their freedom a second thought. We should all be so very, very grateful for the sacrifices made by so many so that we can be free.

I woke up this morning thinking about the people in my life who are making great sacrifices. It's hard to know that soon there will not only be my husband and son, but now a son-in-law! I'm so proud of my daughter. She didn't allow the difficulties she knows lay before her being married to a soldier stand in her way of loving him. She knew it was God's will for her to be with this man and she followed His will. My statement has always been, "Our soldiers need families, too!"

Well, it's almost dark enough to set off fireworks so I think I better get off here and head outside with the rest of the family. Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so encouraged reading your blog. I am falling in love with a man who is in his last year of seminary, preparing to go active as a navy chaplain next summer. I've been trying to find out everything I can about that life, even knowing that if I choose the man, everything else will be bearable.
-Kara