Sunday, May 3, 2009

From Ordinary to Extraordinary

One of the twins just asked me how long it has been since I've blogged...I found that a little funny! He heard me say I needed to blog this weekend, and then evidently noticed I haven't done it yet. The weekend's not over so I guess I better keep my word! haha...

I'm having a hard time with it being May already. Part of me wants it to be May because our son is coming to visit this month (in less than three weeks now!!), and the other part of me - the part of me that thinks about the deployment - doesn't.

I struggle with the thought of wishing it was the weekend all the time, too. I know I shouldn't wish my days away, but I long for them so I can spend more time with my husband...not to mention work is stressful and exhausting.

Today was the last time I'll hear my husband preach for over a year. I did good - I didn't cry, or even tear up! I prayed all the way to chapel that I wouldn't. Thank you, Lord!! His sermon title was "From ordinary to extraordinary" and was very fitting for all that is taking place for the people of our chapel.

Many of us are about to experience deployment and a year long separation due to it. Also, due to so many chaplains deploying this summer, they have decided to close our chapel and one other on our post. Our last service will be May 31. They said today that 60 chaplains from our post will deploy, leaving only 20 to minister to those not deploying. I'm sure those 20 will be extremely busy with rear detachment so I support that decision.

With all the changes taking place, we all have to make the choice - will we be ordinary or extraordinary? Will we step out in faith and do things for God that make a difference? Will we trust God and His will for our lives? It's not an easy thing to watch your spouse walk into harm's way and not feel overwhelmed. It's not easy to accept change sometimes, or not get down when things don't go the way you had planned, but God is with us and wants to work in and through us to accomplish extraordinary things for His kingdom.

I love Hebrews 11 and 12. After reading verses 35 - 40 of Chapter 11, I was touched by these words that came out of my husband's mouth - the world was not worthy of them, but the world NEEDED them. I knew God was speaking to my heart.

I don't know what it is exactly that the Lord would have me do in my husband's absence, but I've been asking Him to show me and prepare me. I know God has a purpose and plan for all things, and that it is His will for my husband to go and minister to our soldiers on foreign soil, and so I'm at peace about this. It doesn't mean I won't be extremely sad to see him go or not struggle. It just means I'm going to lean on the Lord and trust Him in this and seek to do the extraordinary for His glory while my husband seeks to do the same. And when the days set before us get tough and challenge our faith, we will remember those who have gone before us and fix our eyes on Jesus!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12: 1-3

2 comments:

The Parson's Wife said...

So good to hear from you, and that you are sharing so vividly the TRUTH of being married to a chaplain and life as a faithful woman. I am certain that your community is blessed with you and your service, and the service that your husband is giving in the Word and Gospel of our Lord. My husband is heading to CH-BOLC in 26 days, we began a blog together thechaplainandhiswife.blogspot.com

Praying for you!

LAURIE said...

I am praying for Gods hand to lead you during this time. Our one year separation is coming to a close and yours is about to begin. My heart breaks for you but at the same time I know the strength the Lord has given our family will also do the same for yours! -love and prayers, Laurie