Saturday, June 23, 2007

Don't miss the message...

Sometimes we think what we watch might offend God, but maybe it's because we see a title and think it sounds as though it is offensive and don't do the research. Instead we miss the message...

Yes, you probably guessed it...I'm talking about the movie Evan Almighty.

As someone who has recently done things that seem crazy to others, but did so because God told us to, I did my research then went to see Evan Almighty. It was a movie that inspired me to continue on the path God has laid out for us and trust Him with everything we have. The story line was just as you would expect, with lots of clean humor and a great message.

There were several parts where I felt so touched by God's love for mankind, and how he constantly is trying to get our attention to follow him. There WILL come a time when it is too late, and I want to be someone who helps people get on the boat. Why would I not want to be that person for the Lord?

Believers, Jesus died so we might have life and He left us here after our salvation experience so that we can help others find Him. Don't miss your purpose on this earth! Share what God lays on your heart to do or say to others. How we fulfill that purpose is different. And it changes sometimes in how we go about it. For me, it was once, and will continue to be for a few more months, through working at a business and serving the Lord in the workplace by giving Him my best, by loving people and sharing my faith when the Lord says, "Share it, Laura!" By reaching out to those who are hurting. We can do that no matter where we are...just look around you and see the hurting people. They're in the grocery store, the workplace, etc...even the churches!

God is slowly (but what feels like very quickly now) moving me into a different field. I've seen it so much this last week, but when I watched that movie today it brought it all home. God hasn't called me to build a huge boat, but He has called me to completely step out in faith. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be a chaplain's wife. I never thought I would be a pastor's wife either, but it was a beautiful time in my life. To walk side-by-side one of the most amazing men in the world and serve the Lord - there has never been anything more meaningful and fulfilling to me. To raise my children to love, trust and honor the Lord, and to cheer them on as they follow where the Lord leads - no greater joy!! I also began to realize this week that my blog was a way to reach out to others. I see how God is using it to minister to other soldier's wives, and also (as a bonus) ministering to my heart as well. He used several things this week to also confirm this desire I've had to write a book. I told Kevin about it today and he's thrilled. I don't know how long it will take, but I'm trusting the Lord in that as well. It will be about this journey and I pray it will help those who struggle with the thought that God is calling them to something out of their grasp, something they can't do on their own, something so amazing yet so scary...following His will when it doesn't look easy. I don't know what it's going to look like, I just know God's laid it on my heart to do it.

Now back to the movie...

There was one part of the movie where I could barely contain the tears. When Evan told his son to get back because he didn't want him to get hurt, and his son reminded him he was doing this with him. I thought about our oldest son and how he is doing this with his dad. They might not be able to be together, serving in the same place, but our son is serving our country, too. He'll be saving lives. He's willing to stand with his dad and fight for our freedom and what we hold dear. He's willing to give all he has that others might live (that's the pararescue motto), and he's doing what God's called him to do...just like his dad.

Don't miss the movie because the writers put "Almighty" behind Evan. The movie never makes him out to be bigger than God. In fact, it does quite the opposite. If it gets a non-believer there to hear the message about God and his love and his desire for us to trust him and follow him then let it be so. Besides, we all know who the ALMIGHTY is! I don't think God would be offended...his message is out there on the big screen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a copy when you are finished! Being a pastor's wife had it's struggles and fears but not like this new ministry. I look forward to how see how God will grow and use each of us during this difficult journey. Andrea

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Looking forward to reading that book too.