Saturday, April 19, 2008

Whatever happened to Spring???

It's snowing!!! Yesterday afternoon, in a matter of three or four minutes, we had rain, sleet, snow and sunshine...and I thought Texas weather was crazy! I'm looking out my window right now and the snowflakes are so big they look like feathers falling. It's beautiful...snow falling always is...unless it's almost the end of April and you like SPRING, not winter!!! That would be me! Last weekend it was in the 70's and we were sitting on a beach soaking up the sunshine! I want that weather back!

Ha!...what a great way to start out an update on last week's post: Fasting from Complaining

I have to say this is one of the best fasting experiences I've ever had! And, not because I still got to eat either. My week has been filled with joyfulness. Every day I've found fulfillment and peace in even the simplest of things. Not because anything was really different about my every day routine...but because there's something that happens to you when you make the commitment to look at life without grumbling.

I can't say I didn't slip up. After getting in the car from sitting on the beach in the sunshine for several hours, and waiting on my daughter's boyfriend while he was talking to a man for a little longer than I expected, I made the complaint, "It's hot in here!" Immediately, though, I realized what I had done and confessed it to my kids and asked the Lord to forgive me. I confessed it to my kids because I had told them we were all on a fast.

Their reaction to the news that we were on a fast was hilarious. They said, "We're not going without eating; this is your deal." I then told them what the fast was about...and told them they didn't have a choice. They didn't take me seriously...

Until I was the one to slip up, that is!

The blessing in sharing it with them was that I had accountability. I'm more likely to complain to them, or at them, than anyone else. Knowing that they knew what I had committed to the Lord did make a difference. I'm not sure if anyone else joined me in this fast, but if you did I'd sure like to hear how your week went. Mine was wonderful and I'm going to continue this fast. It's a much better way to live - looking at the good things in life, not the bad...looking for ways to praise the Lord rather than complain and grumble.

What a beautiful sight that falling snow is. You just can't help but see beauty in the pure white falling snowflakes! God's majesty is portrayed in it's simplicity.

He [God] says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.' Job 37:6

No comments: