Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Not MY plans, but HIS

Monday I spent a good part of my day talking to the airlines, trying to figure out a way to get back home a little earlier than planned. Every time I talked to my husband I wanted to fly home to be with him. When we planned my Texas trip, we thought he would spend the majority of that time in the field. We thought it would work out nicely for me to spend time with family and friends and, since he wouldn't be at home anyway, it wouldn't be a huge loss to not be together for a month. Since my time away though, he's had other chaplain duties that have required his presence on post, rather than in the field, making us miss each other all the more.

Monday it was all I could stand, so I thought... My daughter and I made several calls, but we never could get the airlines to give us a break. The lowest we could get them to go was $260 for the two of us, and that was still just way too much. I knew I had to give it up when my husband agreed. Today I understood why I didn't go home sooner...

About 11:3o this morning I was helping one of my aunts put some of the pictures from our reunion on her facebook when I heard some commotion on the downstairs back porch. Once I was finally able to break away and see what was going on, the first thing I noticed was a few people crying. I wasn't sure what I was walking into, but I was certain the Lord was leading me to join them.

As I stepped out onto the porch, I heard one of the girls sharing about the struggle she was having with faith. I listened as I walked closer to her, all the while being sensitive to the Holy Spirit. As I walked, she continued to share. Just as I got close to her, out spills, "Has there even been a time in your life when you've asked Jesus Christ to come into your heart and be your Lord and Savior?" from my mouth. God was at work, and I felt so broken at the thought that God would have me ask her that. For days I had been trying to make my own plans, but God had HIS plan.

After several people shared with her the difference knowing Christ has made in their lives, and we talked about the fact that Jesus will never force himself on anyone, that we must ask him to come into our heart and life and change us, she said she wanted that for her life. This was my cousin's girlfriend, and God had plans for her to be here this week with us, too. I don't believe anything is just coincidence. God met her here in this place, this day, for it was His plan. Being a part of that moment with her made all these days of missing my husband worth it.

Just a few weeks ago one of the pastors of a church we visited with my daughter asked us, "How long has it been since you've led someone to the Lord?" My heart sank as I knew it had been way too long. TODAY I remembered that Sunday morning and thanked the Lord for allowing me to be a part of this beautiful moment in time. I believe had I not been here someone else would have asked the same question of her and she still would have come to know Christ, but I would have missed the blessing of being with all the family when it took place. We rejoiced as a family, as did the angels in heaven, and knowing that this young lady knows the Savior fills my heart with joy!

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to be here today. I'm so grateful that I didn't follow through with my plans, and that your plans prevailed.

2 comments:

MaryLu said...

What a blessing to have been a part of His plan today, and who knows that may not be the end of His plans for you during this time away. There is still the airplain ride home. I'm praying for you guys, take care.

Paulette said...

This is so neat Laura. I love the way God works, his ways and plans always trump ours. Your mom told me about this earlier and I said did she get Baptized in the lake?
Great testimony to Gods way's definately not ours!!