Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thankful Thursday

When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.
Psalm 56:3







As a military wife, there are many things we could easily be afraid of. Probably at the top of our list would be that our husband is killed in combat; which falls second to him being deployed. Probably next in line might be him coming home from combat very badly injured or traumatized, or even just changed by what he experienced. The list could go on and on when it comes to war, and since we are at war, these feelings are very real for us right now.

I was at the commissary today and almost every woman in line around me looked frazzled. Completely and utterly frazzled. Not only do we face the day-to-day demands of life, but many times we tend to do it with the weight of the world on our shoulders. For some, their husband is in dangerous territory and the thought of living a life without him, and raising their kids alone, is almost more than they can bear. That fear is real! For some, their husband is working such long hours and coming home only to eat and sleep and it pretty much feels as though they are deployed. I'm sure I could go on and on, but we all get the picture. Fear is real and everyone experiences it!

Today I am thankful that I know the King of kings and Lord of lords; the One who can calm our fears and help us through disappointments. Being a soldier's wife can take its toll on a woman. I'm certain of that. I see it, I hear it, I even experience it some days. Our fears are very real. But, when I read my bible and spend time in prayer the fear subsides and is replaced with trust. Trust in God. Without Him I'm certain I would not be where I am today. In other words, I never would have taken this plunge back into the military life, knowing full well my husband will be called upon to go to war, if I did not trust the Lord and His plan for our lives.

Thank you, Lord, for your unfailing love. Thank you for the comfort you bring when I am afraid, and for the promise that I can trust You. When I am afraid - and I know there will be many times in my life when I am - I will trust in You!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi,

I found your blog on Tammy's blog. Thought I'd come over and check it out.

So nice to meet you!

Oh, I just can't imagine all the sacrifices you endure daily as your husband is away serving and ministering to those soldiers and families.

My son in is the Military, Army Reserves. He is about to finish his officer training. He'll go to Fort Leonard Wood in the Spring to conclude.

He's married with 2 little girls and one on the way. He was commissioned to Afghanistan a few years ago.

Anyhow, just wanted to drop in and let you know I'll be praying for your family now.

Thanks for being such a blessing to so many!!